TOKYO - AROUND AKIHABARA / MARUNOUCHI / SHIBA / GINZA

Since I was a kid I dreamt about visiting Japan and always had Tokyo as my target city. Finally after almost 10 years planning and saving money, I was able to enjoy a 3 week trip in Japanese soil. Tokyo was everything I imagined and more. I don't think I can get tired of it and would love to come back soon. As you may know Tokyo is divided into special wards, more or less like districts, and I started exploring the city a ward at a time. Being a crazy anime supporter myself, the first area I put my feet on was of course Akihabara, well-known for its gaming scene, anime, the maid cafés and the otakus - Japanese term for people with obsessive interests, commonly the anime and manga fandom. Every building there runs on full advertisement, from top to bottom, and thousands of shops sell all goodies you may possibly imagine. The gaming industry is so gigantic that every other establishment is about  not selling but about arcade games, being the pachinko machines the most popular. I recommend for everyone to just simply walk around, buy some fandom stuff and, why not, play some games.

Further from there, I took a direct train to Tokyo's central station, and just like Akihabara included in the Chiyoda ward. This area in comparison with the one before is totally serious and organised, and instead of the full on publicity as decoration, all buildings look really straight-forward. The Imperial Palace complex is located nearby and visits are, as far as I know, only possible with prior online registration. If the visit is not permitted, take at least your time and behold the Seimon Ironbridge, a scenic arch bridge over the moat of the Imperial Palace that is used for official occasions.

Walking in direction of the Tokyo Tower, I did found many shrines and old Japanese buildings which I cannot unfortunately remember the name. However the Buddhist temple complex Zōjō-ji, dating to 1622 and enclosed in the Shiba Park, is just on the other side of the tower and worth a peek.

The last area of the day, and included in the Chūō district, is the Ginza neighbourhood. Its streets are considered one of the most expensive, elegant, and luxurious in the world and it is a popular upscale shopping area with numerous internationally renowned department stores, boutiques, restaurants and coffeehouses. Even though it's not for all pockets, some not-so-costly restaurants can be found around the stations.


For more information:

Comments